~Adorn'd~ DIY Madness: Necklace Inspiration and More Earrings!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011


From the minute I saw this necklace on Etsy..I wanted it. Its the perfect blend of neutrals with earthy feel to it. I immediately "favorite"'d it in hopes of a future purchase. However I was inspired to try to DIY it. I had some polymer clay in neutral shades from failed attempts of the DIY clay bracelets, some suede cord and....some time.:)

Here is my inspired DIY necklace. I took the polymer clay, shaped them in small, medium and large hoops, then baked them on parchment paper on a flat pan in the oven on 275 for 20 minutes...then took them out and let them cool. I thought about glazing them, but I like the natural sheen of the clay for these necklace...
I strung each loop, sorta in a haphazard way on the suede cord and I had my necklace! I wore it today and love it the feeling of it....I'm very happy on how it turned it. I guess that's nature of DIY...sometimes it comes out good, sometimes it doesn't. lol!
I also played around and made earrings. I got these cone shaped shell beads from Walmart for a $1 a bag.... I love these...can't wait to wear them.

Then....I ran into rhinestone sliders and beads in a smaller dimension ala Basketball Wives earrings. Now, let say this....I have new respect for these ladies who out here hand making these type of earrings and selling them on websites and Etsy. The sliders were $3 for 8 ( I bough two packs) and the beads were $3 for 5 ( I bought two packs)...that only makes one pair of earrings. I have wire and earring hooks...so I spent $12 to make these earrings. I've seen them sold as low as $20 and as high as $75 and those prices include the labor to make them plus listing prices if you don't own your site.

I still like the ones that have all sliders like my girl Katrina over at Kinkabands makes.....but Walmart didn't have enough sliders to make that sort of earring.

So what do think of my DIY creations?? Let me know in the comments:)



6 comments:

Jiggetts on 8:56 PM said...

Love the BBW earrings!! I saw another DIY version of those earrings and now I'm going to have to try making a pair.

Atiyah on 8:56 PM said...

Love the rhinestones.

Unknown on 8:05 PM said...

Jennifer- thanks!! I saw a DIY version I'm going to try if I find some sliders locally.

Atiyah-thanks!

Arr on 8:50 PM said...

I like the "Basketball Wives" earrings a lot. Are they mixed stones?

Unknown on 10:14 PM said...

Thanks! No they are clear rhinestones...I think the flash on my camera is giving off other colors.

MrsWardy88 on 9:22 PM said...

I really like them all. You have a new follower. :)

India @ Afro-indy.blogspot.com